In the study of mythology and religion, the underworld is a generic term approximately equivalent to the lay term afterlife, referring to any place to which newly dead souls go.
see Melanesian mythology.
Rulers of the Underworld
(Note: this includes guardian-type creatures, ghosts, and spirits such as demons, veli, and Cerberus)
(includes Fijian mythology)
- The evil Outer Planes of the Dungeons & Dragons role-playing game.
- The Netherworld of the Playstation 2 videogame Disgaea: Hour of Darkness.
- A representation of hell in the Mortal Kombat videogame series, known as the Netherrealm. It has influenced several gothic fiction texts.
- The setting for the Heroes in Hell shared world series of Bangsian Fantasy works by Janet Morris, C. J. Cherryh and others.
- The location of the captive Prince Rilian in The Silver Chair, of C. S. Lewis' Chronicles of Narnia series, is the Underland.
- In the television series Charmed, The Underworld was the residence of evil beings.
- From Star Trek, Gre'thor and Fek'lhr appear in Klingon mythology.
- In the television series PRMF, the antagonists reside in a world which appears to be quite literally under the surface of the earth. Nevertheless, several ghoulish characters—such as Vampires, Werewolves, Zombies, Mummies and even someone very similar to Frankenstein's Monster—act as primary residents.