In Christian demonology, Buer is a Great President of Hell.
Although the etymology of his name is uncertain, curiously there was an ancient city named "Buer" (now Gelsenkirchen) in Westphalia, Germany.
Buer is a Great President of Hell and a demon of the second order who commands 50 legions.
Buaer appears with the head of a lion and five goat legs surrounding his body to walk or roll in every direction. Other traditions give him the shape of Sagittarius, which is as a centaur with a bow and arrows.
Buer appears when the Sun is in Sagittarius. He teaches Natural and Moral Philosophy, Logic, and the virtues of all herbs and plants. Buer also heals all infirmities, especially of men, and gives good familiars and servants.
Buer is a great president, and is seene in this signe; he absolutelie teacheth philosophie morall and naturall, and also logicke, and the vertue of herbes: he giveth the best familiars, he can heale all diseases, speciallie of men, and reigneth over fiftie legions. Pseudomonarchia daemonum - Johann Wier (1583)
- Buer is portrayed in a Polish fantasy movie "Dzieje Mistrze Twardowskiego" ("The Story of Master Twardowski") about famous polish necromancer Pan Twardowski, as a president of Trade Collegium of Hell.
- A monster called a Buer (sometimes Buel) appears in the Final Fantasy series of games, usually as a multi-winged bat.
- Buer also appears in "Hellblazer" comic book as one of demons from Hell, who tortures little children and wants to snatch a soul from John Constantine.
- Buer appears in the Role Playing Game arkanun as a president of Hell.
- Buer appears as a wheel-like monster in some games in the Castlevania series.
- Buer appears in Alan Moore's comic book series Promethea, when he is summoned (along with the entire Ars Goetia) to attack the title character by a magician named Benny Solomon.
- Buer appears in Grim Grimoire as a chimera, summoned using the alchemy rune.
- The first boss fight in Tales of Destiny 2 is against a monster called Buer.
- Buer also appears as a slang term (British) in Graham Greene's book 'Brighton Rock'.
- Buer has a small comedic role as a lusty teacher in the manga series "Stray Little Devil" by Kotaro Mori. It is also apparent that he can teach without making any sort of signs of communication, physical or otherwise, making him mute throughout the series.