Stheno ("forceful"), (Greek: Σθεννω), in Greek mythology, was one of the immortal Gorgons, vicious female monsters with brass hands, sharp fangs and hair of living, venomous snakes.
She was a daughter of Phorcys and Ceto, or sometimes, Typhon and Echidna.
Her sister Euryale was immortal and sister Medusa was mortal. Stheno's head was displayed when she died for all the gods to mock.
- Euryale and Stheno appear in Neil Gaiman’s Sandman.
- Stheno plays a major part in the backstory of one of City of Villains non-player villain groups, the aptly named "Snakes".
- Stheno (along with Medusa and Euryale) is featured as an enemy in the PC game Titan Quest.
- Stheno also appears as an enemy in the Super NES game Final Fantasy
- The Gorgons appear as villains in American Dragon Jake Long in the episode "Bring It On" and "Furious Jealousy".