Titania was the name of a character in William Shakespeare's play A Midsummer Night's Dream. In Shakespeare's play, she is the queen of the fairies. Due to Shakespeare's influence, later fiction has often used the name "Titania" for fairy queen characters.
In traditional folklore, the fairy queen has no name. Shakespeare took the name 'Titania' from Ovid's '’Metamorphoses, where it is an appellation given to the daughters of Titans.
In the Shakespeare play, Titania is a very proud creature and as much of a force to contend with as her husband Oberon. The marital quarrel she and her husband are engaged in over which of them should have the keeping of a changeling page is the engine that drives the mix ups and confusion of the other characters in the play. Due to an enchantment cast by Oberon's henchman Puck, Titania magically falls in love with a rude mechanical that has been given the head of an ass.
Titania has appeared in many other paintings, poems, plays and even graphic novels; she has occasional cameo roles in Neil Gaiman's Sandman comic series, and is a major supporting character in The Books of Magic. In the mythology of those comic series, she is a mortal woman, who has lived and ruled in fairy land so long that no one remembers she once looked (and still is, under her magical seeming) human.
- In the middle-grade novel The Revenge of the Shadow King, by Derek Benz and J.S. Lewis, Titania appears as the all-powerful and benevolent Queen of the Land of Faerie.
- In Disney's Gargoyles, Titania was a character voiced by Kate Mulgrew, who was the queen of the fairies, but exiled from Avalon at the will of her Lord and Husband, Oberon's Children. It is possible that she manipulated Oberon into that action though, as she was shown to make several such clever feints and ploys during her appearances in the series.
- In the Gamecube game Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance, she appears as a member of the main character's party
- In the Game Boy Advance game Mega Man Zero 4, one of the Ragnarok Agents is called "Sol Titanian"
- In the roleplaying game Little Fears, Titania is the King of Pride, one of the rulers of Closetland
- In Neil Gaiman's The Sandman and Books of Magic, Titania is a former lover of Dream (the lead character in Sandman), and the mother of Tim Hunter (the lead character in Books of Magic). She was born human in this story.
- In WW's famous treasure hunt she is a.k.a. Emma
- Titania is the name of the fox-terrier of the founder of Monstrous.com.